STYLE & INSPIRATION
After choosing the style and configuration of your new sofa, armchair or sofa bed, and measuring the space to ensure it will fit, it’s time to consider fabrics. With over 90 different materials available at Next, from luxurious leather to opulent velvet, with this guide you have everything you need to find the perfect shade and texture to suit your home design.
Sofas and armchairsOur upholstery guide will help you find the perfect fabric and feet to compliment your chosen design. Sofas, armchairs and accent chairs are essential in any living space, providing a comfortable place to sit down, relax and unwind after a busy day.
Choosing a fabricComfort and style are essential when choosing fabric for your new sofa or armchair, but practicality should be your main priority. For example, leather and faux leather fabrics are easily scratched by pet claws, but leather upholstery can be wiped down easily if food or drink spillages occur.
These are some of the most popular upholstery fabrics at Next:
• Matt velvet• Distressed velvet• Antique velvet• Elegant velour• Cosy boucle• Belgian soft twill • Textured weave• Soft woven check• Wool blend• House leather• Premium leather• Luxury leather• Faux leather
Most of the fabrics in our range feature NextGuard™, a moisture-repellent treatment that helps prevents stains from setting in.If you have children or pets, consider choosing a darker fabric shade to hide any stains that may occur.Selecting a foot styleMost of our sofas have a choice of foot colour and material, including light, standard, grey and white ash wood. Some models allow you to customise the foot style, while others have a fixed design. When choosing feet for your new sofa, you might want them to match the shade of your furniture or other wooden accents in the room. Turned, metal and castor feet are also available on selected ranges.
Cushions and armcapsWe also offer custom-made cushions and arm caps in your chosen sofa fabric, so you can add the perfect finishing touches. Arm caps will protect the arms of your sofa, preventing the material from being worn down. If you want to make dining chair covers, footstools or other accessories that match your new sofa, we sell all our upholstery fabrics by the metre.
Sofa bedsLooking for a sofa bed that doubles as living room or home office seating? Our sofa bed buying guide has plenty of advice for choosing the right style and configuration. When choosing upholstery fabric for your new sofa bed, consider comfort and practicality alongside colour, texture and design.An essential part of your sleeping solution is to find the perfect mattress. Explore the mattress types we offer at Next to discover the best option for your new sofa bed.
If your sofa bed will only be used occasionally by guests staying for a night or two, this is the ideal mattress. It has a 5cm thick foam core and folds onto a heavy-duty three-fold steel base with springs.
Memory foam mattressMemory foam mattresses offer additional comfort and support. They are made with a 5cm foam core and a 2cm layer of memory foam on top, followed by a soft knitted cover. Like our occasional mattresses, they open onto a heavy-duty three-fold steel base with springs.
Pocket sprung and memory foam mattressThis is the most comfortable sofa bed mattress, combining two styles: pocket sprung and memory foam. The foam core forms the base, with individually wrapped pocket springs layered above. The 7cm thick mattress is finished with a memory foam topper and soft knitted cover for ultimate support and comfort. Like our other mattresses, this style folds onto a heavy-duty three-fold steel base with springs.
How to care for upholstered furnitureCaring for your upholstered furniture is essential to ensure it lasts a lifetime.These are the best ways to clean your sofa, from leather to soft fabrics.
Cleaning leather upholstery1. Blot any spills with a damp cloth immediately to avoid staining. Never rub the surface as this can cause discolouration and push the stain deeper into the leather.
2. To clean your leather sofa or armchair thoroughly, wipe down the surface using a damp cloth and mild soap solution. Then wipe the area with a clean cloth to remove any soap residue, and dry the surface well to prevent water marks.
3. Finally, use a leather cream to protect the leather from staining or scratching. This is an optional step, and you should always test the product on a hidden area or fabric swatch before applying everywhere, as it may alter the leather’s colour and finish.
Cleaning fabric upholstery1. Use an absorbent cloth or sponge to blot any spillages before they soak into the fabric and cause staining. Never rub the area, as this can spread the stain or set it into the upholstery.
2. Try a specialist upholstery shampoo or stain remover if the mark is still visible. Test these products on a hidden area or fabric swatch before applying everywhere to ensure they won’t discolour the fabric. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for use.
3. Remove any excess product with a clean cloth and lukewarm water (not hot).
General maintenanceTry these simple tips and tricks to keep your upholstered furniture looking and feeling its best:
• Vacuum your sofa, armchairs or accent chairs weekly using the upholstery attachment. This helps remove dust, food debris and pet hair. If you have pets, use a soft fabric brush before vacuuming to remove excess hair. • Check the manufacturer’s label before washing or dry cleaning cushion covers. Some designs are not suitable for these cleaning methods.• Turn reversible cushions regularly to prevent fading or general wear and tear. Plump the back and seat cushions to keep them in shape. • Draw the curtains or blinds whenever possible if your upholstered furniture is exposed to direct sunlight, which will cause the fabric to fade over time.Still unsure which sofa upholstery style is right for your home? Request up to nine free fabric swatches to see how your favourite materials look and feel in your space before placing an order.
Are you sure you want to navigate away from this site?
If you navigate away from this siteyou will lose your shopping bag and its contents.
There are no Recently Viewed items to show.
Items will appear here as you view them. You can then select the images to revisit the items.
Oops' Something's gone wrong! Please try again